Vegan Walnut Taco Meat
Vegan walnut taco meat is a tasty, nutritious alternative to traditional ground beef tacos. With this recipe, you can extend Meatless Monday into Taco Tuesday with no complaints from your family! Or, if you’re a vegetarian or vegan, you can satisfy those cravings for delicious tacos because, after all, everyone loves tacos. Glenda’s Farmhouse is an ideal source for the walnuts that you’ll need.
If your familiarity with walnuts is limited to a topping for yogurt or an ingredient in trail mix, get ready for a game changer in your culinary creativity.
Walnuts serve as a meat substitute for practically any dish that calls for ground meat, an excellent flavor enhancer or sauce thickener, a measure for adding flavor and crunch to lean proteins without using flour batter, and a variety of other cooking tricks.
- Process walnuts in a processor. Pulse to a crumbled consistency on par with ground meat.
- Heat olive oil on medium-low heat.
- Add onions and cook for 5 minutes until clear.
- Add ground walnuts, soy sauce, chili powder, cumin, salt, oregano, and garlic powder.
- Stir thoroughly for an even distribution of seasonings.
- Cook for 3 minutes.
Make the Tacos
- Prepared walnut taco “meat”
- 8 hard taco shells (or tortillas if you’d rather)
- 2 cups lettuce (shredded)
- 1 cup tomatoes (chopped)
- ½ cup shredded Mexican style cheese (or your personal favorite)
- ½ cup salsa (mild, medium, or hot depending on preference)
- ½ cup low-fat sour cream
This step of the process is a matter of personal preference. Some families fix the tacos on the plate to serve; others prefer buffet style to suit individual tastes.
Do you miss taco night since transitioning to a vegan lifestyle? Cook up these easy, nutritious, and scrumptious vegan tacos made from walnut “meat” for a family-pleasing meal with no sacrifice of taste involved. Glenda’s Farmhouse offers walnuts to complement this recipe as well as pre-crumbled Mexican flavored walnuts for an even easier taco night.