Crispy Almond Chicken Breast
This Crispy Almond Chicken Breast offers tenderness and a crispy exterior with a savory glaze and almond crunch. If you long for this now discontinued Panda Express dish, try this recipe.
To keep your almond supply fresh and on-hand, order from Glenda’s Farmhouse, a quality supplier of almonds, walnuts, pecans, sea salts, and more.
- Whisk together the marinade for the chicken. Add the egg, 1 TBSP soy sauce, baking soda, ½ tsp salt, and ¼ tsp pepper to a bowl and whisk well.
- Cut the chicken into 2 inch cubes.
- Add the chicken and coat. Cover the bowl and place in the refrigerator to marinate. Allow to marinate for 1 hour - overnight.
- Using a different bowl, add the almond flour, all-purpose flour, rice cereal, ¼ tsp salt, and ¼ tsp pepper. Combine.
- Remove the chicken from the refrigerator and allow it to come to room temperature. Gently shake a piece of the chicken to remove the excess marinade and then press the piece into the cereal mixture. Repeat this process until all of the chicken pieces are coated.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan on medium heat. Oil will be ready when a drop of water pops when it meets the oil. Fry a few pieces of chicken at a time - until each piece is golden brown. Do not overcrowd the skillet. Lightly salt the chicken pieces as you remove them from the oil and set on a rack to cool.
- On medium heat, toast the almonds in a skillet. Stir frequently for about 5 minutes until the almonds are fragrant and light gold in color. Remove to a bowl and set to the side.
- Whisk together the sauce in a small bowl - the garlic, ginger, two TBSP soy sauce, oyster sauce, sugar, cornstarch, broth, ¼ tsp salt, and ¼ tsp pepper.
- Pour the sauce into the skillet that you toasted the almonds in and simmer for three minutes. Stir without stopping until the sauce is dark and thick.
- Add the chicken, almonds, sauce, and half of the sliced green onion to a large bowl and toss to coat the chicken. Top with the rest of the green onion and serve.
- If you’re an oil saver, let it cool completely and strain before putting it in a container to store. Store this oil in a cool, dark place in your pantry. NEVER pour oil down your sink drain!
- Air fryer preparation - preheat to 400°, spray the air fryer basket with oil, place a layer of chicken pieces in the basket. Cook for 4 minutes; spray again; cook for another 4 minutes. (Check internal temp to equal 155º.
- Oven preparation - Preheat the oven to 425º. Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with foil and putting a wire rack inside of it. Spray oil on the rack, and place the chicken on the rack. Spray the chicken with oil. Bake for 20 minutes.
Order Glenda’s Farmhouse sliced almonds to keep them on hand for this recipe and many others.