Cashew Mac and Cheese
If you miss the comfort of scrumptious, cheesy macaroni and cheese, try this vegan cashew mac and cheese recipe!
Mac and Cheese Ingredients
Breadcrumb Topping Ingredients
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Prepare a casserole dish by lightly oiling it.
- Heat water to boiling in a teapot or boiler. Cover the cashews with boiling water and allow them to soak for five minutes.
- Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the packaging. Be careful not to overcook. Drain and set to the side for use.
- Drain the soaked cashews.
- Use a blender to blend the cashews, water, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, turmeric, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and shredded vegan cheese to a smooth texture.
- Mix the breadcrumbs, melted “butter,” and paprika to a crumbly texture in a small bowl.
- Add the pasta to your prepared casserole dish and stir in the cheese sauce.
- Top with the breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Broil for a bit, carefully watching, until it reaches the preferred brownness state.
- Complete steps 3-6, preparing the pasta and cheese sauce.
- Return the cooked pasta to the pot once drained.
- Pour in the cheese sauce from the blender.
- Stir until thick.
- Pair with a salad for a tasty meal.
- Throw in some thawed sweet peas or roasted Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, or broccoli.
- Throw in some vegan bacon or your favorite nuts from Glenda’s Farmhouse.
- Soak the cashews for longer if you don’t have a high-powered blender.
- Nutritional yeast is optional; it makes a cheesier flavor.
- If you’re making it on the stovetop, should the sauce become too thick, add a bit of warm water, a spoon or two at a time, and stir thoroughly. The same works for leftover reheating.
- Store leftovers, covered for a maximum of four days.
- To freeze, make the sauce and freeze in dish-size servings. Freezing the sauce and the pasta cooked together doesn’t work out well.
- Variation - use cheese sauce over cooked or uncooked cauliflower or for nachos.